Sometimes it stinks being a first-time mom, because many people assume you don't know what you're doing. Often, they're right, but it doesn't make anyone feel good to be looked down on for lack of experience. Most of the time though, it's exciting. Each new development, be it funny, sweet, or even painful, is exciting. Each new experience is a sign of progress, and progress in pregnancy is a wonderful thing.
On Monday night I was having back-to-back (what I thought were Braxton Hicks) contractions, and my nurse midwife sent me in to the hospital to get checked. It turns out I was dilated to a 1, and 70% effaced. The baby's head was found at a station -2. Once my cervix was checked, labor contractions began to come regularly (though not too strong), so they gave me a drug to stop the contractions. It worked long enough for me to go home and fall asleep. At 2am the contractions started back up again, but they weren't as regular or as strong. The bleeding didn't stop for hours into the day, so I called in to ask how long it was normal to continue. The nurse I talked to advised me to come in to the clinic and made me an appointment. I reluctantly went in, but the nurse midwife didn't check me. She didn't seem to feel it necessary. Hoepfully the midwife I have next week will be willing to check. I'd really like to know if things have progressed at all!
What have I learned from all this? Well, it's always good to be sure you're not in labor. What else have I learned? Well, you're most likely not in labor anyway, and there's nothing they can do for you but give you drugs, so just stay home. I'll tough this one out until either my water breaks or contractions are so strong and close together I have no doubts at all. From here on out, I am dura mater: tough mother.
Once upon a time...
Wednesday, May 11, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment