Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Hippie-Birthing

Once again, the blog isn't letting me put spaces between paragraphs for some odd reason. Sorry about that. So, I've mentioned before that despite years of being weirded out by the concept, I've decided to try out hypnobirthing. Well, I got the home teaching guide thing, and let me just say one thing:

Flower power, yo.

Wow. The concepts are sound. The physiology is accurate. The psychology is realistic. The writer needs to be fired. Right now. I'm sorry, but I am a very logically-minded person, and when I hear terms like "happy place" and "bubble of peace" used in connection with things I'm supposed to do, and surrounded in layers of overly-italicized and bolded words, I shut off. I'm sorry, but there's no such physiologic mechanism called "bubble of peace", and no logical connection in my mind with "happy place". However, I'm determined to glean the principles I'm learning from this stuff and gain all I can. The fact is, hypnobirthing is quite effective when practiced well, and as several reliable health care professionals have told me, most moms who use it don't need anesthetic. There's got to be something to that. The mind is a powerful thing, and I do believe that if taught correct princliples, it can overcome things as tangible as physical pain (within reason). So, I've decided to pick apart the manual, get an understanding of the concepts, and then translate them into something I can understand, respect and apply. I'll let you know how it goes. So far I've taken over 40 pages of fluff, condensed it and translated it into nine coherant principles that I can definitely work with. Who knows, maybe this will someday revolutionalize the way that scientifically-minded women view birthing. For now though, I'm just looking forward to my own successful labor and delivery. Peace out.

0 comments: