Apparently I'm not a very open-minded person when it comes to labor and delivery. I don't believe that herbal remedies help at all, except for the useful placebo effect, which doesn't work on anyone well-educated or skeptical. I think having a baby anywhere besides in a hospital bed is weird (and in many cases, stupid). I don't frown down upon women who opt to have epidurals or c-sections, and I think in most cases, the only people who can really help you have a successful delivery are the health care professionals, your husband (if he's up to it) and maybe your mom, if you're close to her. Other than that, it's all in your head, and as useful as psyching yourself out may be, it can only go so far.
I know, I'm no expert. I've never had a baby. But this is me: I have my opinions.
However, I am beginning to branch out a little, and I've been learning a little about HynoBirthing. The first time I heard about it, it was from my best friend in high school, and she knew I'd probably reject the idea even then. I did, but I didn't forget about it. She later told me that her sister had delivered a baby virtually pain-free using this method and I was impressed. You can't fake that. Later still, I met a girl in my respectable anatomy class who was pregnant and taking HypnoBirthing classes. She told me about what kinds of things she had been learning and the general concepts and explanied that all it is, is working with your body's muscular system (instead of against it) and learning not to freak out-- a major source of physical pain. She told me about it in terms that we use in anatomy, and in a way that made logical sense. In other words, nothing about auras or herbs or the Spirit or anything else. Straight physiology. That I can understand. So since then I've been contemplating trying it out for myself.
So what's the cheapest way I can go about this? I found a class for $175. Ouch. It was the cheapest one I could find. 5 sessions of 2 1/2 hours. It includes a book and technique CDs and stuff. It's convincing, too. The testimonials were cool and the lady who runs it seems really down-to-earth. None of this hokey business. Now we just have to see if we can use our FSA on it. If so, I might be back on here in a few weeks telling you all about my first lesson...
Once upon a time...
Wednesday, January 26, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment