Once upon a time I decided to do a little community service. Well, I'll tell you the truth, I wanted to get my foot in the door to the medical world. So I began volunteering in Mother Baby at the Provo hospital. Besides the fact that the nurses there are known to be rude to their volunteers, it was really fun and rewarding, and it was good experience. Five years later, I find myself wanting to get back into it again. We live within walking distance from another hospital, and I can't seem to get a "real" job these days, so I figure it will be a good use of time.
It's been hard to be at home without Gavin, but not for the reasons you'd think. I find plenty of productive things to do, but most people can't fathom spending this much time at home and always being able to get things done. Just think of all the little projects you would work on if you only had the time. Years worth of stuff put on the back burner, waiting for "someday". Well, that's what I've been doing... and the laundry and the dishes and cooking, etc.
Anyway, I want to be able to contribute more, and since I can't contribute financially to my family, I'll contribute to the community by serving in the hospital. Who knows? Maybe years down the road when I come looking for a job as an RN my volunteer work will give me a leg up. But if not, it will still be worth it to have given of my time for the general well-being of others. Oh, and I'll be working in the ER, and it doesn't get much more exciting than that! Who needs TV?!
I have my reasons for not working full-time for now, availability and economy being some of it, but don't judge me too harshly for it. I've got a plan, and I'm excited to see it pan out.
Once upon a time...
Tuesday, July 20, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment